May 11, 2010

Hello, Who Are You Again?




The thing that I hate about models these day, are their attitudes. I had a very unpleasent experience the other day during one of the after-parties at the Singapore Fashion Week.

I have noticed this model guy a few times, and I was interested in his facial features. Although he is quite short, I am looking for a model to appear in a photoshoot so height is not such a big issue. So after the show when the music had died down, I went backstage to talk to him. I introduced myself politely and shoved my name card at him (notice my politeness with the 'shoving' part!) Anyhoo, I proceeded to ask him whether he would be interested to model in a personal photoshoot project. He stood there in silence, looked at me, glaring at me as if I were a parasitic back alley hooker, and left.

I was stunned into silence. Excuse me, I was not soliciting for sex.

There seems to be an allusive delusion that's going on in models' heads. They are not high in the fashion hierarchy, they are like at the bottom of the food chain. A Mackerel in the Fish Market. Easily replaceable by another Natasha from Russia or another Tyler from Estonia. Yet some of their attitudes are awfully rotten. Occasionally you find models who popped up from the sea of oblivion who have actually made a name for themselves like Agyness Deyn, Cole Mohr, Terron Woods, Tyson Ballou or even Baptiste. Other than that, they are only good for one season, because fashion changes so rapidly. One season the Heroin Chic is in and the next season, it's the voluptuous plus size look that's in.

The only way for models to break big is either for them to be handpicked by the Queen, yes, yes, I am talking about Anna Wintour, and featured in Vogue or to be featured in an advertorial by the bigwigs like Gucci or LVMH groups.

Now back to the story.

I talked to a booker friend of mine, and she agreed completely with me about the attitude of that particular model. Apparently, he has trouble getting jobs because he refuses to be hired by small brand names. But, HELLO! How big can the brand be if it is in Singapore?

There are quite a lot of sad cases of models coming to Singapore in order to make it big in the industry. New models from Houston or Slovakia go to Singapore on a 6-month visa in the hopes of being "found" or getting legally employed by agencies or fashion houses.

So, later that night, I saw this particular male model getting chummy with one of the Singaporean designers who claimed at making it "big" in London and is considered huge in Singapore, but hardly made any ripples internationally. The model opened his shirt insisting that the designer felt his hard-abs. Lookie, lookie, who's the hooker now?

Models are nice to look at (sometimes), but i prefer real people. Why can't all models have beauties and brains like the very sexy David Gandy?

Can I get a hallelujah?

No comments:

Post a Comment